SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The No. 44 Cal Poly women's tennis program failed to drop a set on Friday afternoon as the Mustangs opened the dual match stretch of their 2012 spring campaign with a 7-0 whitewash of UC Santa Cruz.
The No. 1 Cal Poly doubles tandem of senior Jocelyn Davis and junior Alexa Lee opened Cal Poly's victory on Mustang Courts with an 8-3 triumph against UC Santa Cruz's Alexandra Scotten and Laura Wade. Sophomores Jen Cornea and Gabrielle Gatewood produced an 8-2 victory at No. 2 against Sarah Malone and Courtney Lymburner before Mustang sophomore Ane McPike and freshman Ireen Kuipers finalized the doubles sweep at No. 3 by blanking Rebecca Parker and Anya Sophie Lundeberg, 8-0.
Cal Poly, 9-0 at home since the start of last spring, dropped just nine sets in singles action. Lee returned at No. 1 to down Scotten, 6-1, 6-2, before Cornea dealt Wade a 6-1, 6-0 defeat at No. 2. Davis bested Lymburner at No. 3, 6-1, 6-0, before Gatewood swept past Malone at No. 4, 6-0, 6-0. Cal Poly sophomore Kathryn Webb produced a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 5 against Lundeberg before McPike finalized the match with a 6-1, 6-1 victory against Parker at No. 6.
"This was, by far, the windiest day I've ever seen for a match," said first-year Mustang head coach Damon Coupe, managing his first dual match with the Mustangs. "We focused on being disciplined in the tough conditions and working hard with our feet. I'm very proud of our effort. We could have become frustrated, but didn't. We worked hard and were rewarded for it."
Cal Poly wraps its two-match home stand on Sunday, Jan. 29 versus San Francisco at 11 a.m.
Cal Poly 7, UC Santa Cruz 0
Jan. 27, 2012
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
1. Lee/Davis (CP) def. Scotten/Wade (UCSC), 8-3
2. Gatewood/Cornea (CP) def. Malone/Lymburner (UCSC), 8-2
3. Kuipers/McPike (CP) def. Parker/Lundeberg (UCSC), 8-0
1. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Alexandra Scotten (UCSC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Jen Cornea (CP) def. Laura Wade (UCSC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Courtney Lymburner (UCSC), 6-1, 6-0
4. Gabrielle Gatewood (CP) def. Sarah Malone (UCSC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Anya Sophie Lundeberg (UCSC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Ane McPike (CP) def. Rebecca Parker (UCSC), 6-1, 6-1