PALO ALTO, Calif. – Sixth-ranked Stanford failed to concede a set against the Cal Poly women's tennis program on Wednesday afternoon as the Mustangs dropped a 7-0 decision against the Cardinal inside Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal, who have won 190 of their last 191 non-conference home matches, opened Wednesday's contest by sweeping the doubles point. At No. 1, Mustang senior Jocelyn Davis and junior Alexa Lee dropped an 8-3 decision against Mallory Burdette and Nicole Gibbs, ranked No. 3 nationally in the latest edition of Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll. The Cal Poly sophomore pairing of Ane McPike (above) and Kathryn Webb then fell by the same score at No. 2 versus the 43rd-ranked Ellen Tsay and Stacey Tan. Stanford completed the sweep at No. 3 with Natalie Dillon and Veronica Li topping Mustang sophomore Gabby Gatewood and freshman Ireen Kuipers, 8-4.
In singles action, Lee fell at No. 1 and Davis was defeated at No. 2, 6-1, 6-1, by respectively, the third-ranked Gibbs and fourth-ranked Burdette. Webb was edged at No. 3 by the 59th-ranked Tsay, 6-3, 7-5, before Gatewood dropped a 6-1, 6-3 decision at No. 4 against Li. Kuipers fell at No. 5 against Dillon, 6-1, 6-3, before McPike closed the match with Cal Poly's narrowest defeat, a 7-6, 6-4 loss against Amelia Herring.
Cal Poly returns to the central coast to open a three-match home stand on Mustang Courts against No. 51 and Big West Conference-leading Long Beach State on Friday, April 6 at 1:30 p.m.
No. 6 Stanford 7, Cal Poly 0
Taube Family Tennis Stadium (Palo Alto, Calif.)
April 4, 2012
1. No. 3 Burdette/Gibbs (STAN) def. Lee/Davis (CP), 8-3
2. No. 43 Tan/Tsay (STAN) def. McPike/Webb (CP), 8-3
3. Dillon/Li (STAN) def. Gatewood/Kuipers (CP), 8-4
1. No. 3 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 4 Mallory Burdette (STAN) def. Jocelyn Davis (CP), 6-1, 6-1
3. No. 59 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-3, 7-5
4. Veronica Li (STAN) def. Gabby Gatewood (CP), 6-1, 6-3
5. Natalie Dillon (STAN) def. Ireen Kuipers (CP), 6-2, 6-4
6. Amelia Herring (STAN) def. Ane McPike (CP), 7-6, 6-4