SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The Cal Poly women's tennis program dropped just two sets on Saturday afternoon as the Mustangs completed a three-match home stand by thrashing UC Riverside, 6-1.
In sweeping the doubles point, Cal Poly (9-9, 4-3) conceded just four games on Mustang Courts. At No. 1, Cal Poly senior Jocelyn Davis and junior Alexa Lee combined to hand Taylor Raney and Jamie Raney an 8-4 defeat. The Mustang sophomore pairing of Ane McPike and Kathryn Webb then swept Kat Saltarelli and Natalie McKay at No. 2 before fellow sophomore Gabby Gatewood and freshman Ireen Kuipers (above) also produced a shutout victory at No. 3 by whitewashing Kate Bergeson and Courtney Pattugalan.
In singles action, Lee dropped Cal Poly's lone match by suffering a 1-6, 7-6, 1-0 defeat at the No. 1 position against Jamie Raney. Davis, however, followed with a 6-3, 6-1 triumph at No. 2 against Saltarelli before Webb bested McKay at No. 3, 6-1, 6-4. Gatewood returned at No. 4 to post a 6-2, 7-6 win against Taylor Raney ahead of McPike's 7-5, 6-2 triumph at No. 5 versus Pattugalen. Kuipers then capped Cal Poly's dominating effort by downing Bergeson at No. 6, 6-1, 6-0.
The Mustangs complete their 2012 Big West Conference schedule with an 11 a.m. matchup at Cal State Northridge on Sunday, April 15.
Cal Poly 6, UC Riverside 1
April 14, 2012
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
1. Davis/Lee (CP) def. Raney/Raney (UCR), 8-4
2. McPike/Webb (CP) def. Saltarelli/McKay (UCR), 8-0
3. Gatewood/Kuipers (CP) def. Bergeson/Pattugalan (UCR), 8-0
1. Jamie Raney (UCR) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 1-6, 7-6, 1-0
2. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Kat Saltarelli (UCR), 6-3, 6-1
3. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Natalie McKay (UCR), 6-1, 6-4
4. Gabrielle Gatewood (CP) def. Taylor Raney (UCR), 6-2, 7-6
5. Ane McPike (CP) def. Courtney Pattugalan (UCR), 7-5, 6-2
6. Ireen Kuipers (CP) def. Kate Bergeson (UCR), 6-1, 6-0