SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Senior Kathryn Webb prevailed in the opening singles match of her final season and freshman Emily Gibbens triumphed in her first collegiate dual match, but the Cal Poly women's tennis program dropped a 5-2 decision to San Francisco on Saturday afternoon in its 2014 dual match opening contest on Mustang Courts.
In doubles action, the Mustang senior tandem of Jen Cornea and Ane McPike prevailed against San Francisco's Thyra Taune and Sofia Holmberg, 6-2. The Mustangs, however, fell at No. 2 with Gibbens and junior Hannah Stone dropping a 6-4 decision against Marina Nikolic and Andrea Ka. Cal Poly conceded the doubles point after the No. 3 pairing of junior Mika Padmanabhan and freshman Sayaka Tsugai fell versus Milica Hadzi Tanovic and Gen McCloskey, 7-6.
In singles play, Cornea dropped a 6-2, 6-4 decision at the top spot against Taune before Gibbens prevailed at No. 2 versus Holmberg, 6-4, 6-3. At No. 3, Stone was bested by Ka (6-3, 7-5) while Padmanabhan was outdueled at No. 4 against Nikolic (6-3, 6-1). At No. 5, Webb snatched a point back for the Mustangs with a 6-3, 6-3 triumph versus Tanovic. McPike, however, fell at No. 6 versus Brooke Irish, 6-3, 7-5.
Cal Poly (0-1) concludes a two-match home stand when facing UC Santa Cruz on Sunday, Jan. 26 at 12 noon.
San Francisco 5, Cal Poly 2
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
Jan. 25, 2014
1. Jennifer Cornea/Ane McPike (CP) def. Thyra Taune/Sofia Holmberg (USF), 6-2
2. Marina Nikolic/Andrea Ka (USF) def. Emily Gibbens/Hannah Stone (CP), 6-4
3. Milica Hadzi Tanovic/Gen McCloskey (USF) def. Mika Padmanabhan/Sayaka Tsugai (CP), 7-6
1. Thyra Taune (USF) def. Jennifer Cornea (CP), 6-2, 6-4
2. Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Sofia Holmberg (USF), 6-4, 6-3
3. Andrea Ka (USF) def. Hannah Stone (CP), 6-3, 7-5
4. Marina Nikolic (USF) def. Mika Padmanabhan (CP), 6-3, 6-1
5. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Milica Hadzi Tanovic (USF), 6-3, 6-3
6. Brooke Irish (USF) def. Ane McPike (CP), 6-3, 7-5