SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Mustang freshmen Emily Gibbens and Sayaka Tsugai (right) were dual victors on Sunday afternoon, but the Cal Poly women's tennis program – after winning the doubles point against No. 56 Santa Clara – prevailed just twice in singles action and dropped a 4-3 decision to the Broncos on Mustang Courts.
Gibbens and Tsugai teamed at the No. 3 doubles spot to open Cal Poly's Sunday with an 8-2 victory against Santa Clara's Stephanie Skaras and Nikki Wolny. Senior Kathryn Webb and junior Mika Padmanabhan then cemented Cal Poly's doubles triumph with an 8-7 win against Chelby Cook and Delphine Rouvillois. With the doubles point in hand, the No. 1 match between Mustang seniors Ane McPike and Jennifer Cornea and Santa Clara's Katie Le and Daniella Silva was left unfinished with Cal Poly leading 7-5.
In singles action, Le – the nation's 28th-ranked player – topped Cornea at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 10-2. Gibbens returned at No. 2 to best Cook (6-3, 6-1), but Padmanabhan fell at No. 3 to Silva (6-3, 7-6) and Webb dropped her match at No. 4 to Rouvillois (4-6, 6-3, 6-4). At the No. 5 position, McPike lost a tight decision to Skaras (7-6, 7-5) while Tsugai prevailed at No. 6 against Wolny (6-1, 6-4).
Cal Poly (2-4) opens a two-match road trip when visiting Cal State Fullerton on Saturday, March 1 at 11 a.m.
No. 56 Santa Clara 4, Cal Poly 3
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
Feb. 16, 2014
1. Katie Le/Daniella Silva (SCU) def. Ane McPike/Jennifer Cornea (CP), 7-5
2. Kathryn Webb/Mika Padmanabhan (CP) def. Chelby Cook/Delpine Rouvillois (SCU), 8-7
3. Emily Gibbens/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Stephanie Skaras/Nikki Wolny (SCU), 8-2
1. No. 28 Katie Le (SCU) def. Jennifer Cornea (CP), 6-3, 10-2
2. Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Chelby Cook (SCU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Daniella Silva (SCU) def. Mika Padmanabhan (CP), 6-3, 7-6
4. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Ane McPike (CP), 7-6, 7-5
6. Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Nikki Wolny (SCU), 6-1, 6-4