SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Freshman Emily Gibbens was a two-time victor on Sunday afternoon against UC Davis, but the Cal Poly women's tennis team dropped the doubles point to the Aggies and three singles matches en route to a 4-2 defeat on Mustang Courts.
In doubles action, Gibbens teamed with fellow freshman Sayaka Tsugai to top Tiffany Pham and Samantha Martino at the No. 3 position, 8-4. At No. 1, however, Layla Sanders and Nicole Koehly of UC Davis topped Cal Poly's Jennifer Cornea and Ane McPike, 8-4. At No. 2, the Mustang duo of senior Kathryn Webb and junior Mika Padmanabhan fell versus Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa, 8-7.
Gibbens returned in singles action to top Sanders at the No. 2 position (6-3, 7-5) while Webb bested Koehly at No. 4 (6-0, 6-3). Cal Poly, however, saw Cornea fall at No. 1 to Heneghan (6-4, 6-1) while McPike dropped a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 decision to Pham at No. 5. Tsugai also fell at No. 6 to Kamila Kecki, 6-2, 6-1.
With the result decided, the No. 3 singles match between Padmanabhan and Kobayakawa was left unfinished drawn at 6-3, 6-7, 1-0.
Cal Poly contests the third match of its seven-contest home stand when hosting Texas-Arlington on Saturday, March 15 at 10 a.m.
UC Davis 4, Cal Poly 2
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
March 9, 2014
1. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Jennifer Cornea (CP), 6-4, 6-1
2. Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Layla Sanders (UCD), 6-3, 7-5
3. Mika Padmanabhan (CP) vs. Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD), 6-3, 6-7, 1-0, unfinished
4. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD), 6-0, 6-3
5. Tiffany Pham (UCD) def. Ane McPike (CP), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Kamila Kecki (UCD) def. Sayaka Tsugai (CP), 6-2, 6-1
1. Layla Sanders/Nicole Koehly (UCD) def. Jennifer Cornea/Ane McPike (CP), 8-4
2. Megan Heneghan/Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Kathryn Webb/Mika Padmanabhan (CP), 8-7
3. Emily Gibbens/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Tiffany Pham/Samantha Martino (UCD), 8-4