FRESNO – Freshman Molly Reed was a two-time winner on Saturday afternoon but, after dropping the doubles point, the Cal Poly women's tennis team fell in four of six singles matches in a 5-2 loss versus Fresno State on Bulldog Courts.
In doubles action, Reed teamed with sophomore Sayaka Tsugai at the No. 3 position to topple Sofya Malysheva and Aishwarya Agrawal, 6-2. At the No. 1 position, however, Cal Poly junior Danè Joubert and sophomore Emily Gibbens fell to Fresno State's Maiar Sherif Ahmed and Rana Sherif Ahmed, 6-1. Fresno State claimed the doubles point at No. 2 as Anneka Watts and Sophie Watts claimed a 6-2 victory against Cal Poly senior Hannah Stone and freshman Zoe Oedekerk.
In singles play, Reed returned at the No. 4 position to deal Agrawal a 6-2, 6-4 defeat. Cal Poly's other victory came at the No. 6 spot with Oedekerk outdueling Anneka Watts, 7-6, 7-6. At No. 1, however, Oxnevad suffered a 6-1, 6-2 defeat to Sophie Watts, while at the No. 2 spot, Gibbens was on the downside of a 6-2, 6-2 decision versus Rana Sherif Ahmed. The Bulldogs rounded off the match with Maiar Sherif Ahmed topping Stone at No. 3 (6-1, 6-1) and at No. 5, as Malysheva outlasted Joubert (0-6, 6-2, 1-0).
Cal Poly (1-2) returns home to host No. 44 Saint Mary's on Wednesday, Feb. 4. First serve on Mustang Courts is 1 p.m.
Fresno State 5, Cal Poly 2
Jan. 31, 2015
Bulldog Courts (Fresno, Calif.)
1. Maiar Sherif Ahmed/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FSU) def. Emily Gibbens/Danè Joubert (CP), 6-1
2. Anneka Watts/Sophie Watts (FSU) def. Zoe Oedekerk/Hannah Stone (CP), 6-2
3. Molly Reed/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Sofya Malysheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FSU), 6-2
1. Sophie Watts (FSU) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP), 6-1, 6-2
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FSU) def. Emily Gibbens (CP), 6-2, 6-2
3. Maiar Sherif Ahmed (FSU) def. Hannah Stone (CP), 6-1, 6-1
4. Molly Reed (CP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Sofya Malysheva (FSU) def. Danè Joubert (CP), 0-6, 6-2, 1-0
6. Zoe Oedekerk (CP) def. Anneka Watts (FSU), 7-6, 7-6