SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Despite sweeping doubles on Saturday afternoon, the Cal Poly women's tennis team couldn't hold the momentum and lost 5-2 to Loyola Marymount at Mustang Courts.
The Mustangs grabbed control from the start in doubles, as senior Hannah Stone and sophomore Emily Gibbens – teamed together for the first time this season – dispatched Loyola Marymount's Jessica Perez and Ellie Grossman 8-4.
Cal Poly junior Dane Joubert and redshirt freshman Zoe Oedekerk – also paired together for the first time this season – combined to beat the Lions' Lisa Piller and Anna Romeka 8-6.
Cal Poly dropped five of six in singles, though Gibbens collected her third singles victory of the season, 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 over Crespo. Redshirt junior Bryn Bacharach forced a third set against Julia Norlin, but fell 2-6, 6-4, 5-7.
Cal Poly (1-4) continues its home stand at 2 p.m. Sunday against San Jose State. Admission is free.
LMU 5, Cal Poly 2
Feb. 14, 2015
San Luis Obispo, CA (Mustang Courts)
1. Jessica Perez (LMU) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP) 6-3, 6-4
2. Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Andrea Crespo (LMU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
3. Ellie Grossman (LMU) def. Hannah Stone (CP) 6-0, 6-2
4. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Molly Reed (CP) 6-1, 6-1
5. Anna Romeka (LMU) def. Zoe Oedekerk (CP) 6-1, 6-2
6. Julia Norlin (LMU) def. Bryn Bacharach (CP) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
1. Hannah Stone/Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Jessica Perez/Ellie Grossman (LMU) 8-4
2. Danè Joubert/Zoe Oedekerk (CP) def. Lisa Piller/Anna Romeka (LMU) 8-6
3. Molly Reed/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Kristine Kouyoumjian/Andrea Crespo (LMU) 8-4