SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Amidst 90-degree temperatures and blazing sunshine, the Cal Poly women's tennis team defeated Idaho, 4-3 at Mustang Courts on Saturday afternoon. With several familiar faces back in the Mustang lineup, Cal Poly improved to 2-9 overall this season with its first victory since Jan. 25.
Redshirt freshman Zoe Oedekerk clinched the match for Cal Poly at No. 5 singles with a straight-set, 6-4, 6-3 decision over Lucia Badillos.
"We're back to mostly healthy and having mostly a full lineup today was key," Cal Poly fourth-year head coach Damon Coupe said. "We know we're a tough team when injuries don't have us down."
Cal Poly grabbed the doubles point when the duo of junior Dané Joubert and redshirt sophomore Louise Oxnevad outlasted Galina Bykova and Emmie Marx at No. 1, 6-4 and the tandem of freshman Molly Reed and Oedekerk downed Rita Bermudez and Lucia Badillos, 6-3 in the No. 3 position.
Cal Poly sophomore Emily Gibbens improved to 3-2 at the No. 2 spot this season with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Marx and Reed used a straight-set victory over Bermudez at No. 3 singles, 7-5, 6-2 to remain undefeated in the third position (2-0).
Idaho picked up three singles wins, including Bykova's 6-3, 7-5 ousting of Oxnevad and a straight-set win by Sophie Vickers over Hannah Stone, 6-3 and 6-2. The Vandals collected their third singles point after Belen Barcenilla outlasted Joubert at No. 6, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.
With Cal Poly leading 3-2, Oedekerk – who improved to 2-1 at No. 5 singles this season and won her third match overall – secured the match with her two-set win over Badillos.
In defeat, Idaho falls to 8-5 overall this season.
"We battled through the scorching heat today," Coupe replied. "Our team showed a ton of tenacity by beating Idaho this afternoon."
Cal Poly will take next week off and return to action hosting Hawaii at 1 p.m. Monday, March 23 as Big West Conference play resumes. To keep track of the Cal Poly women's tennis team on Twitter, follow @CalPolyWTennis.
Attendance at Mustang Courts is free.
1. Galina Bykova (ID) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP) 6-3, 7-5
2. Emily Gibbens (CP) def. Emmie Marx (ID) 6-3, 6-4
3. Molly Reed (CP) def. Rita Bermudez (ID) 7-5, 6-2
4. Sophie Vickers (ID) def. Hannah Stone (CP) 6-3, 6-2
5. Zoe Oedekerk (CP) def. Lucia Badillos (ID) 6-4, 6-3
6. Belen Barcenilla (ID) def. Danè Joubert (CP) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
1. Danè Joubert/Louise Oxnevad (CP) def. Galina Bykova/Emmie Marx (ID) 6-4
2. Belen Barcenilla/Sophie Vickers (ID) def. Emily Gibbens/Hannah Stone (CP) 6-3
3. Molly Reed/Zoe Oedekerk (CP) def. Rita Bermudez/Lucia Badillos (ID) 6-3