SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Despite singles victories by redshirt sophomore Louise Oxnevad and freshman Molly Reed, the Cal Poly women's tennis team fell to Liberty at Mustang Courts on Thursday afternoon, 5-2. Oxnevad won her second singles match in a row overall and Reed won her first match at No. 3 singles this season.
Cal Poly took the advantage early after the duo of junior Dane Joubert and Oxnevad bested Maria Khval and Brittany Yang, 6-1. It was the first doubles victory for Joubert and Oxnevad when paired together this season.
Liberty (12-2) would then snatch the initial point of the match by winning the final two doubles positions. The Cal Poly tandem of senior Hannah Stone and sophomore Emily Gibbens were downed by Evangeline Crist and Valerie Thong, 6-2 at No. 2 doubles, while the Liberty duo of Mariely Hassey and Emily Groeneveld forced a tiebreaker at No. 3 doubles and eventually ousted Reed and sophomore Sayaka Tsugai, 7-6.
Oxnevad's straight set victory at No. 1 singles over Hassey (6-1, 6-3) tied the match at one apiece. Oxnevad moved to 2-3 at the No. 1 spot this season. At the No. 2 singles position, Belen Rivera managed to fight off Gibbens (6-0, 4-6, 6-3) to swing the momentum back towards Liberty.
Cal Poly's Reed knotted the match at two apiece with a come-from-behind win over Khval at No. 3 (2-6, 6-2, 6-1). The Flames would then secure the next three singles matches to claim the 5-2 win. After falling 6-1 in the first set, Tsugai beat Nicola Wellman 6-0 in the second set to force a third. Wellman completed the victory with a 6-4 third-set win, providing Liberty's fifth and final point of the afternoon.
Cal Poly (1-9) continues its homestand with an 11 a.m. Saturday matchup against Idaho.
Attendance at Mustang Courts is free.
Liberty 5, Cal Poly 2
1. Louise Oxnevad (CP) def. Mariely Hassey (LIB) 6-1, 6-3
2. Belen Rivera (LIB) def. Emily Gibbens (CP) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
3. Molly Reed (CP) def. Maira Khval (LIB) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Evangeline Crist (LIB) def. Zoe Oedekerk (CP) 6-2, 7-5
5. Emily Groeneveld (LIB) def. Danè Joubert (CP) 6-1, 6-4
6. Nicola Wellman (LIB) def. Sayaka Tsugai (CP) 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
1. Danè Joubert/Louise Oxnevad (CP) def. Maira Khval/Brittany Yang (LIB) 6-1
2. Evangeline Crist/Valerie Thong (LIB) def. Emily Gibbens/Hannah Stone (CP) 6-2
3. Mariely Hassey/Emily Groeneveld (LIB) def. Molly Reed/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) 7-6