SAN LUIS OBISPO – The Cal Poly women's tennis program opened Friday morning's match versus No. 74 UC Irvine by grabbing the doubles point, but the Anteaters responded in singles with four victories as the hosts dropped a 4-1 decision on Mustang Courts.
In doubles action, Cal Poly (3-13, 0-5) received an 8-3 victory at the No. 2 position from freshmen Zoe Oedekerk and Molly Reed against Sarah Gong and Mazy Watrous while, at the No. 3 spot, Mustang junior Danè Joubert and sophomore Sayaka Tsugai topped UC Irvine's Andrea Duva and Arisha Ladhani, 8-2. At the No. 1 position, however, Cal Poly senior Hannah Stone and sophomore Emily Gibbens were on the downside to Ali and Kat Facey, 8-1.
In singles action, UC Irvine (11-7, 4-1) responded beginning at the No. 2 position, where Kat Facey bested Reed (6-4, 6-2). At the third spot, Stone fell to Ladhani (7-6, 6-3) while, at No. 5, Tsugai was halted by Waltous (6-0, 6-4).
Cal Poly, however, was leading in the two singles matches that went unfinished with the overall result finalized. At the top spot, Gibbens led Gong 6-4, 5-6. Oedekerk, meanwhile, recovered from an opening-set defeat versus Ali Facey to lead 2-6, 6-1, 5-3.
"I'm so proud of the resolve this team is showing," fourth-year Mustang head coach Damon Coupe said. "We had a great battle today and we keep playing better every day. We know as a group we're a tough team and will continue to be tough all the way through."
Cal Poly completes a three-match home stand and closes the 2015 tenure at Mustang Courts when hosting CSUN on Friday, April 10. First serve is set for 12 noon.
No. 74 UC Irvine 4, Cal Poly 1
April 3, 2015
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
1. Emily Gibbens (CP) vs. Sarah Gong (UCI) 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
2. Kat Facey (UCI) def. Molly Reed (CP), 6-4, 6-2
3. Arisha Ladhani (UCI) def. Hannah Stone (CP), 7-6, 6-3
4. Zoe Oedekerk (CP) vs. Ali Facey (UCI), 2-6, 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
5. Mazy Watrous (UCI) def. Sayaka Tsugai (CP), 6-0, 6-4
6. Andrea Duva (UCI) def. Bryn Bacharach (CP), 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
1. Ali Facey/Kat Facey (UCI) def. Emily Gibbens/Hannah Stone (CP), 8-1
2. Zoe Oedekerk/Molly Reed (CP) def. Sarah Gong/Mazy Watrous (UCI), 8-3
3. Danè Joubert/Sayaka Tsugai (CP) def. Andrea Duva/Arisha Ladhani (UCI), 8-2