SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The Cal Poly women's tennis team had no answer for the 63rd-ranked and central coast rival UC Santa Barbara Gauchos on Saturday morning, falling 4-0 during Big West Conference play in Santa Barbara. With the loss, the Mustangs fall to 0-7 in conference play, while UCSB improves to 6-2.
The Gauchos started the match off by snatching the doubles point, collecting victories from Lou Adler and Natalie Da Silveira over Emily Gibbens and Hannah Stone in the second position, 8-3, while the doubles tandem of Stacy Yam and Jaimee Gilbertson outlasted Zoe Oedekerk and Molly Reed at No. 3, 8-5.
Cal Poly was unable to find a solution in singles against UCSB as well, with Gibbens (pictured) falling to Natalie Da Silveira in straight-sets (7-5, 6-2) in the second spot and Melissa Baker downing Hannah Stone in two sets (6-4, 6-4) at No. 4. The Gauchos clinched the match after Lou Adler defeated Louise Oxnevad in back-to-back sets (7-5, 6-2) at No. 1.
Cal Poly's Sayaka Tsugai had her matchup in the sixth position ended after the Gauchos closed the match, and both Reed and Zoe Oedekerk had their battles halted as a result of the UCSB win.
Cal Poly concludes the regular season with a 2 p.m. bout on Sunday at UC Riverside, which is a makeup from a match (Feb. 22) that was originally rained out.
1. Lou Adler (UCSB) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP) 7-5, 6-2
2. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Emily Gibbens (CP) 6-2, 7-5
3. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) vs. Molly Reed (CP) 3-6, 6-4, unfinished
4. Melissa Baker (UCSB) def. Hannah Stone (CP) 6-4, 6-4
5. Stacy Yam (UCSB) vs. Zoe Oedekerk (CP) 6-4, 5-0, unfinished
6. April Scatliffe (UCSB) vs. Sayaka Tsugai (CP) 6-7, unfinished
1. Luisa Ortiz Candido/Melissa Baker (UCSB) vs. Louise Oxnevad/Danè Joubert (CP) unfinished
2. Lou Adler/Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Emily Gibbens/Hannah Stone (CP) 8-3
3. Stacy Yam/Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Zoe Oedekerk/Molly Reed (CP) 8-5