SAN DIEGO – The Cal Poly women's tennis team put up another hard fought battle on Sunday against UC San Diego, as the match came down to the last point, but ending in a 4-3 loss for the Mustangs.
The Mustangs started Sunday's match off in doubles play, where Abigail Bacharach and Molly Reed were defeated by Ashley Chao and Becky Chou 6-3 on court two. Lousie Oxnevad and Sayaka Tsugai took on Madison Hale and Alexandra Weil on court three, but fell 6-2, giving UCSD the doubles point.
Seriana Saltzen set the tone for the Mustangs in singles play, as she beat Becky Chao on court three, 6-2, 6-4, tying the score 1-1.
Susanne Boyden picked up an easy win over Ashley Chao, beating her 6-3, 6-2 on court two, advancing Boyden to 2-0 on the season.
Bacharach took on Weil on court five, where she was defeated 6-4, 6-2, while Reed was beat by Jasmine Hosseini 6-3, 6-2 on court four.
Oxnevad pushed Britta Mosser to three sets and came out with a win on court one, 6-4, 3-6, 6-0, tying the score up to 3-3, leaving it up to court six to clinch the match.
Celine Gruaz pushed Valeria Corral to three sets but couldn't hold on, as she fell 1-6, 7-5, 7-5.
The Mustangs will be back in action on Sunday Feb. 12 to take on San Jose State in their first home match of the season.
1. Louise Oxnevad (CP) def. Britta Mosser (UCSD) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
2. Susanne Boyden (CP) def. Ashley Chao (UCSD) 6-3, 6-2
3. Seriana Saltzen (CP) def. Becky Chou (UCSD) 6-2, 6-4
4. Jasmine Hosseini (UCSD) def. Molly Reed (CP) 6-3, 6-2
5. Alexandra Weil (UCSD) def. Abigail Bacharach (CP) 6-4, 6-2
6. Valeria Corral (UCSD) def. Celine Gruaz (CP) 1-6, 7-5, 7-5
1. Britta Mosser/Shannon Theisen (UCSD) def. Susanne Boyden/Seriana
Saltzen (CP) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,5,4,1,6)