SAN LUIS OBISPO – The Cal Poly women's tennis team picked up an impressive 7-0 sweep against Cal State Stanislaus on Sunday afternoon while supporting breast cancer awareness at Mustang Courts.
Sunday's match started a little bit differently for the Mustangs, as the team came with added pink to their uniforms to support breast cancer awareness and to support freshman Susanne Boyden's mom, Pam Boyden, who is fighting breast cancer. Along with the team, many fans showed up in pink to support the cause.
Susanne Boyden and Abby Bacharach beat J'Ana Diamond and Ebone Qualls on court two 6-2, clinching the doubles point for the Mustangs.
Up 1-0, the Mustangs kept the momentum going in singles play, as Tsugai picked up a quick sweep against Van Diver on court six 6-0, 6-0, while Gruaz beat Seul on court five 6-0, 6-2, giving the Mustangs a 3-0 lead.
Bacharach clinched the match for the Mustangs after she beat Qualls on court four 6-3, 6-4.
Boyden finished the match off on a strong note for the Mustangs, as she beat Cassidy Ferrell on court one 6-3, 6-2, advancing her record to 8-2 on the season and giving the Mustangs their first sweep of the season.
The Mustangs are now 1-10 in the season and will be back on the courts Tuesday March 28 to host Hawai'i.
- Saltzen/Reed (CP) vs. Conway/Ferrell (CSS) UF
- Boyden/Bacharach (CP) def. Diamond/Qualls (CSS) 6-2
- Gruaz/Tsugai (CP) def. Seul/Van Diver (CSS) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
- Susanne Boyden def. Cassidy Ferrell: 6-3, 6-2
- Seriana Saltzen def, Jaella Conway: 6-1, 6-4
- Molly Reed def, J'Ana Diamond: 6-2, 6-4
- Abby Bacharach def. Ebone Qualls: 6-3, 6-4
- Celine Gruaz def. Sooni Seul: 6-0, 6-2
- Sayaka Tsugai def. Kristi Van Diver: 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 2, 3, 1