SAN LUIS OBISPO – The Cal Poly women's tennis team lost a hard fought match against Hawai'i, as it fell to the Rainbow Warriors 6-1 on Tuesday afternoon at Mustang Courts
Saltzen and Reed took the lead right away, but Petra Melounova and Alzbeta Houbova tied the score up at 4-4. The Mustangs pulled away and came out with a 6-4 win, clinching the doubles point for the Mustangs.
Up 1-0, the Mustangs put up a fight in singles play, but couldn't keep up with the Rainbow Warriors.
Boyden fell to Melounova 6-0, 6-0 on court one, while Gruaz fell to Pits on court four 6-1, 6-1. Bacharach fell to Dolakova on court five 6-1, 6-3, giving Hawai'i a 3-1 lead.
Saltzen put up a fight against Nguyen on court two, as she lost her first set 6-1, but came back to win her second 7-5, but then fell in a hard fought third match 6-4, clinching the match for Hawai'i.
Tsugai pushed Houbova to a tiebreaker but fell short on court six, 7-6, 5-7, 10-3.
The Mustangs are now 1-11 on the season and 0-3 in conference play. The squad will head up north to take on Sacramento State on Thursday March 30.
1. Petra Melounova (UH) def. Susanne Boyden (CPWT) 6-0, 6-0
2. Cindy Nguyen (UH) def. Seriana Saltzen (CPWT) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
3. Marina Hruba (UH) def. Molly Reed (CPWT) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
4. Michelle Pits (UH) def. Celine Gruaz (CPWT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Nikola Dolakova (UH) def. Abigail Bacharach (CPWT) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alzbeta Houbova (UH) def. Sayaka Tsugai (CPWT) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0