SANTA BARBARA – The Cal Poly women's tennis team fell 4-1 against UC Santa Barbara in its last match of the regular season on Saturday in Santa Barbara, Calif.
The Mustangs were not able to secure the doubles point, as Seriana Saltzen and Molly Reed were beat by Melissa Baker and Amanda Atanasson on court one 6-1, while Susanne Boyden and Abby Bacharach were beat by Natalie Da Silveira and Stephanie Yamanda 6-2.
Down 1-0, Cal Poly went into singles play, where Celine Gruaz fell to Stephanie Yamanda 6-0, 6-1 on court five.
Reed put the first point on the board for the Mustangs after beating Atanasson 6-0, 6-2 on court four, advancing her singles dual record to 8-6 on the season.
Saltzen was beat by Jaimee Gilbertson on court two 6-4, 6-2, giving UCSB a 3-1 lead.
Sayaka Tsugai fell to Baker on court six 6-3, 6-1, clinching the match for the Gauchos.
Cal Poly ends its regular season 4-14 overall and 2-6 in conference play.
The Mustangs will be back on the courts to participate in the Big West Championship in Indian Wells, Calif. The championship starts on Thursday April 27 and goes through April 30.
(Order of finish: 1, 2)
1. Natalie Da Silveira vs. Susanne Boyden 4-6, 6-1 (unfinished)
2. Jaimee Gilbertson def. Seriana Saltzen 6-4, 6-2
3. Stefani Stojic vs. Louise Oxnevad 5-7, 3-1 (unfinished)
4. Molly Reed def. Amanda Atanasson 6-0, 6-2
5. Stephanie Yamada def. Celine Gruaz 6-0, 6-1
6. Melissa Baker def. Sayaka Tsugai 6-3, 6-1
(Order to finish: 5, 4, 2, 6)