No. 2 USC Defeats No. 57 Cal Poly, 7-0
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The No. 57 Cal Poly Mustang men's tennis team ran up against a team that put six ranked players on the court and it proved too much for the Mustangs as the team fell, 7-0, to the No. 2 USC Trojans.
With the loss Cal Poly falls to 2-2 on the season while USC improves to 3-0.
Play opened with the doubles competition with Jonny Wang and Michael Grant defeating Marco Comuzzo, 8-3, on the third court for the first point.
USC secured the doubles point when Max De Vroome and Emilio Gomez defeated Gannon Daynes and Matt Thomson on the second court. Andre Dome and Jordan Bridge were up 7-5 on the first court when the doubles point was decided.
With USC up 1-0 after doubles play the pressure was kept up by the Trojans with a 6-1, 6-1 win on the second court when No. 24 Roberto Quiroz defeated Comuzzo.
No. 89 Dome succumbed to No. 27 Gomez on the first court, 6-2, 6-2, and the match was settled on the fourth court when No. 78 De Broome defeated Derek Klein, 6-3, 6-4.
The most challenging match of the day took place on the fourth court when Bridge won the first set over No. 61 Jordan, 6-2. Jordan came back to win the second set, 7-6, in a tie breaker and prevailed 10-4 in the super tiebreaker.
Cal Poly returns to the courts at home when the team will host No. 66 San Diego State on Saturday at 12 pm on the Mustang Courts. Cal Poly will also host UC Santa Cruz on Sunday at the Avila Bay Club at 11 am on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Cal Poly vs University of So. California
Jan 29, 2013 at Los Angeles, Calif.
#2 University of So. California 7, #57 Cal Poly 0
1. #10 Emilio Gomez (USC) def. #89 Andre Dome (CP) 6-2, 6-2
2. #24 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP) 6-1, 6-1
3. #61 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 2-6, 7-6, 10-4
4. #61 Max De Vroome (USC) def. Derek Klein (CP) 6-3, 6-4
5. #121 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Jurgen De Jager (CP) 6-4, 7-5
6. Michael Grant (USC) def. Naveen Beasley (CP) 7-5, 6-2
1. Emilio Gomez/Eric Johnson (USC) vs. Andre Dome/Jordan Bridge (CP) 5-7, unfinished
2. Max De Vroome/Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Gannon Daynes/Matt Thomson (CP) 8-6
3. Michael Grant/Jonny Wang (USC) def. Marco Comuzzo/Naveen Beasley (CP) 8-3
Cal Poly 2-2; National ranking #57
University of So. California 3-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,1,4,3,6,5)