SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to the 35th-ranked Middle Tennessee State team on Monday. With the loss, Cal Poly falls to 6-4 overall while Middle Tennessee State improves to 11-4.
Cal Poly will return to the courts on March 17 when the team will host Princeton at 1:30 pm.
Doubles play opened the match with Andre Dome and Jordan Bridge teaming to defeat Yannick Born and Marlon Brand, 8-4, on the first court. But David Fox and Christoph Lang came back to even doubles play with an 8-6 win over Naveen Beasley and Jurgen De Jager on the second court.
The doubles point came down to the match played on the second court with Matt Thomson and Marco Comuzzo facing the 35th-ranked team of Ben Davis and Victor Cornea. Davis and Cornea prevailed with a hard fought, 8-5, win and the point going to MTS.
Singles play opened with Dome, ranked 32nd, making quick work of the 92nd-ranked player, Davis, 6-1 and 6-1 on the first court.
MTS' Born defeated Comuzzo on the third court in three sets after the Cal Poly player won the first set, 7-5. Born came back to defeat Comuzzo, 6-4 and 6-3, to put the Blue Raiders back on top, 2-1.
Bridge, playing on his second match of the season on the second court, tied up the match when he defeated Lang in three sets, 4-6, 6-3 and 6-2.
Cornea put MTS back on top to stay on the fourth court when he defeated Derek Klein in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-3 while Fox sealed the win with a, 7-6, 6-4 win over Beasley on the sixth court.
Tennis Match Results
Middle Tennessee State vs Cal Poly
Mar 11, 2013 at San Luis Obispo, Calif
#35 Middle Tennessee State 5, #55 Cal Poly 2
1. #32 Andre Dome (CP) def. #92 Ben Davis (MTS) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Christoph Lang (MTS) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Yannick Born (MTS) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
4. Victor Cornea (MTS) def. Derek Klein (CP) 6-4, 6-3
5. Ettore Zito (MTS) def. Jurgen De Jager (CP) 7-5, 2-6, 2-2, retired
6. David Fox (MTS) def. Naveen Beasley (CP) 7-6, 6-4
1. Andre Dome/Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Yannick Born/Marlon Brand (MTS) 8-4
2. #35 Ben Davis/Victor Cornea (MTS) def. Matt Thomson/Marco Comuzzo (CP) 8-5
3. David Fox/Christoph Lang (MTS) def. Naveen Beasley/Jurgen De Jager (CP) 8-6
Middle Tennessee State 11-4; National ranking #35
Cal Poly 6-4; National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)