SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis team got back on track Sunday with a 7-0 sweep over UC Riverside in a Big West Conference tennis match at the San Luis Obispo Country Club. With the win the Mustangs improve to 9-8 overall and 1-1 in conference matches while UCR falls to 3-17 overall and 0-3 in Big West matches.
Play opened with the Mustangs sweeping the doubles matches and securing the point. Naveen Beasley and Matt Thomson defated Kevin Griffin and Julian Ruffin, 8-4, on the second court while Gannon Daynes and Devin Barber defeated Calvin Ngo and Luis Gastao, 8-3, on the third court.
Andre Dome and Marco Comuzzo improved to 3-0 in doubles action with an 8-1 win over Jimmy Roberts and Marcus Vizcarra on the first court.
In singles action, Derek Klein won in straight sets over Ngo, 6-1 and 6-1, on the third court while Beasley defeated Griffin on the fourth court, 6-1 and 6-1.
Thomson kept the pressure up as he defeated Simon Peters on the fifth court, 6-2 and 6-3, with Comuzzo defeating Ruffin, 6-4, 6-4, on the second court.
Dome, ranked 22nd in the nation, improved to 15-2 in dual matches with a 6-4, 6-2, win over Roberts on court No. 1.
Daynes secured the sweep for the Mustangs when he won in three sets over Kelly Dickson on the sixth court, 6-3, 4-6 and 10-6.
Tennis Match Results
UC Riverside vs Cal Poly
Apr 07, 2013 at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
(San Luis Obispo Country Club)
#73 Cal Poly 7, UC Riverside 0
1. #22 Andre Dome (CP) def. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 6-4, 6-2
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Julian Ruffin (UCR) 6-4, 6-4
3. Derek Klein (CP) def. Calvin Ngo (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
4. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
5. Matt Thomson (CP) def. Simon Peters (UCR) 6-2, 6-3
6. Gannon Daynes (CP) def. Kelly Dickson (UCR) 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
1. Andre Dome/Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Jimmy Roberts/Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 8-1
2. Naveen Beasley/Matt Thomson (CP) def. Kevin Griffin/Julian Ruffin (UCR) 8-4
3. Gannon Daynes/Devin Barber (CP) def. Calvin Ngo/Luis Gastao (UCR) 8-3
UC Riverside 3-17, 0-3 BWC
Cal Poly 9-8, 1-1 BWC; National ranking #73
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,5,2,1,6)