STOCKTON, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis team upset No. 66 Pacific, 5-2, in a Big West Conference tennis match at the Hal Nelson Tennis Courts on the campus of Pacific on Saturday. With the win the Mustangs move to the top of the conference standings with a 3-1 conference record and are 11-8 overall while Pacific falls to 2-1 in Big West play and 12-6 overall.
The Mustangs will return to the courts on Tuesday, April 16, when the team will host Hawai'i in the team's final home match of the season at 1 pm on the Mustang Courts.
The match with the Tigers opened with doubles play with Cal Poly taking two of the three matches and the doubles point.
The Mustangs found themselves down after Alex Golding and Daniel Alameh defeated Gannon Daynes and Naveen Beasley, 8-2, on the third court. But the Mustangs came right back with Andre Dome and Jordan Bridge defeating Denis Stolyarov and Alex Hamiton, 8-6, on the first court.
The point came down to the second court where Marco Comuzzo and Matt Thomson battled Sam Verbeek and Eric Cederwall, 8-7, for the win and point for the Mustangs.
Alameh tied it up for Pacific on the fourth court with a 6-0, 6-2, win over Derek Klein and went up 2-1 when Stolyarov defeated Bridge in straight sets (6-4, 6-1) on the third court.
From that point on Cal Poly dominated the rest of the match, winning the four remaining singles matches.
Dome lived up to his No. 25 ranking with a dominating 6-2, 6-0 win over Vebeek on the first court to tie the match. Beasley put the Mustangs up for good with a 6-2, 6-2, win over Ben Mirkin on the fifth court.
Comuzzo took care of Golding, 7-6, 6-4, on the second court with Thomson defeating Cederwall on the sixth (6-4, 6-3).
Tennis Match Results
Cal Poly vs University of Pacific
Apr 13, 2013 at Stockton, Calif.
(Hal Nelson Tennis Courts)
Cal Poly 5, #66 University of Pacific 2
1. #25 Andre Dome (CP) def. Sam Verbeek (PAC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Alex Golding (PAC) 7-6, 6-4
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 6-4, 6-1
4. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Derek Klein (CP) 6-0, 6-2
5. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Matt Thomson (CP) def. Eric Cederwall (PAC) 6-4, 6-3
1. Andre Dome/Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Denis Stolyarov/Alex Hamilton (PAC) 8-6
2. Marco Comuzzo/Matt Thomson (CP) def. Sam Verbeek/Eric Cederwall (PAC) 8-7
3. Alex Golding/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Gannon Daynes/Naveen Beasley (CP) 8-2
Cal Poly 11-8, 3-1 BWC
University of Pacific 12-6, 2-1 BWC; National ranking #66
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3,1,5,2,6)
Cal Poly Men’s Tennis Upsets No. 66 Pacific, 5-2
Apr 13, 2013