Cal Poly Defeats UCSB, 5-2, Secures Share of Regular Season Title
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis team defeated UC Santa Barbara, 5-2, in a Big West Conference match on Saturday in Santa Barbara. With the win the 65th-ranked Mustangs earn at minimum a share of the regular season title, its fourth overall, but must wait for Sunday's results to find out what seed they will have at the Big West Conference Tournament at Indian Wells, April 25-28.
With the win the Mustangs conclude the regular season with a 5-1 Big West Conference record and a 13-8 mark overall while UCSB falls to 2-4 in Big West play and 9-13 overall.
Play opened with the Mustangs winning the doubles point, taking two of the three matches. Seniors Andre Dome and Jordan Bridge made quick work of Ben Recknagel and Ale Bouillin, 8-3 on the first court while juniors Marco Comuzzo and Matt Thomson defeated Andrew Riminton and Miles Seemann, 8-3, on the second court.
Ziad Sultan and Alex Gryaznov defeated Naveen Beasley and Gannon Daynes, 8-7, for UCSB's lone win.
Singles play opened with Comuzzo dominating on the second court with a 6-0, 6-2, win over Bouillin to put the Mustangs up 2-0. UCSB got on the board when Sultan defeated Bridge, 6-1, 6-0, on the third court.
But Beasley and Derek Klein closed the match out with wins on the fifth and fourth courts. Beasley took care of Riminton, 6-0 and 6-4 while Kline won in three sets over Gryaznov, 2-6, 6-1 and 6-0.
Dome, ranked 25th in the country, picked up the Mustangs final win on the first court in three sets. The senior lost the opening set to Recknagel, 6-4, but came back to dominate, 6-2 and 6-1.
Tennis Match Results
Cal Poly vs UC Santa Barbara
Apr 20, 2013 at Santa Barbara, Calif.
(Rec Cen Courts)
#65 Cal Poly 5, UC Santa Barbara 2
1. #25 Andre Dome (CP) def. Ben Recknagel (UCSB) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Alex Bouillin (UCSB) 6-0, 6-2
3. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 6-1, 6-0
4. Derek Klein (CP) def. Alex Gryaznov (UCSB) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Andrew Riminton (UCSB) 6-0, 6-4
6. Jacob Johnson (UCSB) def. Matt Thomson (CP) 7-5, 6-4
1. Andre Dome/Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Ben Recknagel/Alex Bouillin (UCSB) 8-3
2. Marco Comuzzo/Matt Thomson (CP) def. Andrew Riminton/Miles Seemann (UCSB) 8-3
3. Ziad Sultan/Alex Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Naveen Beasley/Gannon Daynes (CP) 8-7
Cal Poly 13-8, 5-1 BWC; National ranking #65
UC Santa Barbara 9-13, 2-4 BWC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,5,4,6,1)