INDAIN WELLS, Calif. – The Cal Poly men's tennis team advanced to the semifinal round of the Big West Conference Men's Tennis Championships with a 4-0 win over UC Riverside at the Indian Wells Tennis Center on Thursday. Cal Poly will face Pacific on Friday at 3 pm.
With the win the Mustangs up their record to 14-8 while UCR concludes the season 3-21.
The 67th-ranked Mustangs made quick work on the doubles court, winning on courts No. 1 and No. 3. Seniors Andre Dome and Jordan Bridge picked up an 8-2 win over Jimmy Roberts and Marcus Vizcarra while Gannon Daynes and Naveen Beasley teamed to defeat Luis Gastao and Calvin Ngo, 8-5, on the third court to clinch the point. The third doubles match, played on the second court was not finished.
In singles play, Beasley put the Mustangs up 2-0 with a straight set, 6-0, 6-1, win on the fifth court over Marcus Vizcarra.
Dome, ranked 29th in the nation, was not far behind with a 6-0, 6-2 win on the first court over Roberts while Bridge put the match away on the third court with a 6-3, 6-0, win over Julian Ruffin.
With the outcome set, matches on the 2nd, 4th and 6th courts went unfinished.
Tennis Match Results
UC Riverside vs Cal Poly
Apr 25, 2013 at Indian Wells, Calif.
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
#67 Cal Poly 4, UC Riverside 0
1. #29 Andre Dome (CP) def. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 6-0, 6-2
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) vs. Luis Gastao (UCR) unfinished
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Julian Ruffin (UCR) 6-3, 6-0
4. Derek Klein (CP) vs. Calvin Ngo (UCR) unfinished
5. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 6-0, 6-1
6. Matt Thomson (CP) vs. Kevin Griffin (UCR) unfinished
1. Andre Dome/Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Jimmy Roberts/Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 8-2
2. Marco Comuzzo/Matt Thomson (CP) vs. Kevin Griffin/Julian Ruffin (UCR) unfinished
3. Gannon Daynes/Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Luis Gastao/Calvin Ngo (UCR) 8-5
UC Riverside 3-21
Cal Poly 14-8; National ranking #67
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,1,3)