INDIAN WELLS, Calif.— The second seeded Cal Poly men's tennis team was upset by the No. 3 seed Pacific, 4-3, Friday afternoon in the semifinal round of the Big West Conference Men's Tennis Tournament at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. With the loss Cal Poly falls to 14-9 overall. The Mustangs entered the BWC tournament ranked 67th in the nation.
Play opened in a hotly contested doubles point. Seniors Andre Dome and Jordan Bridge put the Mustangs up one with an 8-5 win on the first court over Sam Verbeek and Denis Stolyarov. Pacific came back with a win on the second court when Alex Golding and Alex Hamilton defeated Marco Comuzzo and Matt Thomson, 9-7. Pacific secured the doubles point with an 8-5 win on the third court with Daniel Alameh and Ben Mirkin defeating Gannon Daynes and Naveen Beasley.
With the Mustangs down one, singles play opened with Comuzzo dominating Golding on the second court, 6-1 and 6-2, and tying the match at 1-1.
Hamilton put the Tigers back on top with a 6-2, 6-1, win over Thomson on the sixth court. Dome, ranked 29th in the nation, did not disappoint playing from the first court with a 6-3, 6-3 over Verbeek to put the Mustangs back in to a tie.
Beasley put the Mustangs up one with two matches to play on the fifth court with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Mirkin, but Pacific would come back to win the final two matches and clinch the match.
Stolyarov came from behind to defeat Bridge on the third court, 2-6, 6-1 and 7-6, while Alameh came from behind to defeat Derek Klein, 3-6, 7-5 and 6-3.
The Mustangs will await the NCAA selection show on Tuesday, April 30. The show will air on NCAA.com at 2 pm (PT).
Tennis Match Results
University of Pacific vs Cal Poly
Apr 26, 2013 at Indian Wells, Calif.
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
University of the Pacific 4, #67 Cal Poly 3
1. #29 Andre Dome (CP) def. Sam Verbeek (PAC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Alex Golding (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 2-6, 6-1, 7-6
4. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Derek Klein (CP) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Alex Hamilton (PAC) def. Matt Thomson (CP) 6-2, 6-1
1. Andre Dome/Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Sam Verbeek/Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 8-5
2. Alex Golding/Alex Hamilton (PAC) def. Marco Comuzzo/Matt Thomson (CP) 9-7
3. Daniel Alameh/Ben Mirkin (PAC) def. Gannon Daynes/Naveen Beasley (CP) 8-5
University of Pacific 16-8
Cal Poly 14-9; National ranking #67
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,6,1,5,3,4)
Pacific Upsets Cal Poly, 4-3, in Semifinal of BWC Tennis Tournament
Apr 26, 2013