Cal Poly Edges Cal State Fullerton 2-1 in Double Overtime

Cal Poly Edges Cal State Fullerton 2-1 in Double Overtime

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Senior midfielder Tiffany Gummow's lob shot from 30 feet away settled into the back of the net and gave Cal Poly a Big West Conference-opening 2-1 double-overtime victory over Cal State Fullerton on Friday night in Alex G. Spanos Stadium.

Gummow found herself all alone on the left side outside the box and her high-arching shot over the head of Titan goalkeeper Lindsey Maricic ended the nearly 107-minute match.

It was Gummow's team-leading seventh goal of the season and her sixth goal in Cal Poly's last five matches.

The win lifted Cal Poly to 7-4-1 on the season and 1-0-0 in Big West matches. Cal State Fullerton fell to 5-5-2 and 0-1-0.

After a scoreless first half, Cal State Fullerton scored the first goal of the match in the 74th minute as Janali West took a pass from Rebecca Wilson and directed the ball from 10 feet on the left side into the net.

Cal Poly responded five minutes later on an unassisted goal from senior defender McKenzie Orand.

For West and Orand, it was their first goals of the year.

The Mustangs nearly ended the match in the final minute of regulation but a shot by junior midfielder Julie McKee caromed off the crossbar and a follow shot by freshman defender Morgan Griffey barely missed the mark.

Neither team had many scoring opportunities in the first overtime, but the two teams combined for six shots in the second extra period before Gummow (pictured above) ended the match with her game-winner.

Mustang goalkeeper Brooke Gauvin recorded six saves in nearly 107 minutes while Maricic was credited with three saves.

Cal Poly had 23 total shots in the match, five on goal, while Cal State Fullerton recorded 28 shots, seven on goal. All four offsides calls in the match were against the visiting Titans.

Cal Poly returns to action Sunday with a 1 p.m. Big West Conference match against Long Beach State in Alex G. Spanos Stadium.